Iguazu is one of those places where it’s easy to choose your accommodation. Not too many options, and one that’s stands out from the rest: the Belmond das Cataratas. Located on the Brazilian side and within the national park, you get privileged access to the falls before the park opens to the public. Keeping in mind how crowded the falls can get during the day, that’s a very big plus. Don’t bother booking a guided tour of the falls though, it’s unnecessary. Unlike the Argentinian side where you have to choose from many different paths, on the Brazilian side there is only one easy and clearly marked path that starts right in front of the hotel. In my next article I will debate the pros and cons of each side of the falls. But for now let’s focus on the hotel itself.
What I liked:
- the location right in front of the falls and within the national park
- the amazing pool (especially at night)
- the hotel’s very nice tropical garden and its beautiful birds
- the great breakfast on the poolside (and caipirinhas a bit later)
- that feeling of serenity and loneliness right next to a highly touristic attraction
What I disliked:
- the somehow old-fashioned and not so over-the-top rooms (nice bathrooms though)
- a strange moldy smell in the rooms…!
- the lack of signalization in the corridors (that place is huge and you get easily lost)